REASONS FOR SUPPORTING THE OXYLAND SUSTAINABLE PLANTATION
- Helping developing a local project that generates benefices for a particular community through the use of internal resources
- Creating new jobs and training opportunities for young people in forestry and wood craftsmanship
- Supporting a project that will limit the negative effects of desertification in Oltenia
- Increasing the use and reintroduction in the agricultural circuit of abandoned fields and
- Promoting the concept of circular economy in Romania, since the funds generated through the timber production will contribute to the development of the local economy
General information about OXYLAND:
Project type: pilot project
Location: Gruia Commune, Mehedinți County
Surface: one hectare, 625 Oxytrees
Other information: The plantation is not situated in a protected area or in the proximity one and the native forests are not affected by the activities conducted as part of the project. The plantation is located on a field which was abandoned and removed from the agricultural circuit, in an area where the effects of desertification can be easily noticed.
Oxyland represents a pilot project implemented in the Mehedinti County, Gruia Commune, on a surface of one hectare. The plantation contains 625 Oxytrees, planted at a distance of 4 m between them and 5 m between rows. The necessary field activities, the planting activates and maintenance will be conducted through the use of local force.
Impact and results
The results of the projects can be classified in the following manner:
- immediate results (in the first months of implementation): capitalizing on the abandoned or unused field, creating new jobs for the local population, informing the citizens about the necessity of tackling the negative consequences of desertification
- results after 6 years (after the first cutting circle): 312m3 of timber (0.5m3/tree), creating new jobs required by the extraction activities, establishing a Grant with the funds generated through the sale of timber, which will be used to develop local projects
- long term results (after at least 20 years): 1200 m3. A significant reduction and/or tackling the negative consequences of the desertification phenomenon, a higher number of jobs, opportunities for young people to become a specialist in the wood industry, developing local small business or craftsmanship workshops through the Grant.
- Oxytree has 4 cutting cycles, thus the plantation is estimated to last 20 years. More details about Oxytree can be found here
- Local workforce will be used, therefore no additional spending will be required for the transport or accommodation of workers;
- The wood gained from Oxyland is used for processing at local or regional level, which means that the project will provide a surplus of timber for the wood processing industry in Romania;
- The funds obtained from the sale of the timber will help the small craftsmen to open their workshops or even small factories.
Pentru identificarea regiunii potrivite pentru plantație, am ținut cont de aceste aspecte. Astfel având în vedere faptul că Oltenia este regiunea cu cea mai mare rată a șomajului, iar terenurile agricole sunt afectate de deșertificare, plantația este amplasată în județul Mehedinți.
Mai multe informații despre deșertificare aici.